Monday, October 22, 2007

!!!!Semi-State!!!!








Semi-state on 10/20/2007. We went into this race as the underdog. People were saying that it was going to be a close race for the sixth place spot that was the last spot to go on to state. The sixth spot was predicted to go to one of the following: Delta, Mishawaka, South Bend Saint Joseph, or Penn. We were not expected to make it out.
We awaited the announcement for the teams that would go on to state. As we listened, we heard Delta announced at 15th place, Mishawaka announced at 11th place, and St. Joe announced at 8th place. The tension grew. Would we hear the word "Penn" for 7th place? Would we make it out. The announcer said, "In seventh place, with a score of 224 points----- Norwell High School." We screamed and cheered. Sorry Norwell. We weren't celebrating your loss, but the fact that we had made it out. They announced sixth. It wasn't Penn. They announced fifth; it wasn't Penn. They announced fourth, and there we were! We were ecstatic! Fourth place! We had done better than anyone predicted. I was in tears. I was literally bawling. I don't know why. I think it was the first time that I have ever cried because I was happy. We made it out. Why? Because we wanted it the most. We believed that we could achive our goal that we made on that hot day at Warren Dunes when we told the coaches that we wanted to go to state. And we did.
I speak for myself when I say that I had a bad race. I was last on the team, and I ran 17:57-a horrible time for me. The other guys ran spectacular races I would say, but we always seem to criticize ourselves more. But, the day wasn't over.
After every race in our tournament series, we have a time trial for the other guys on the varsity team to see if they will take anyones place in the top seven. Trevor ran great. As he approached the line, I prayed. However bad I felt about it, I still did. I prayed that Trevor would not be able to run faster than I had. He crossed the line in 17:53. Four seconds faster than me. Would he take my spot? I guess that would be up to the coaches. I had come this far only to have my fulfillment of running in state torn away.

No comments: