Monday, October 22, 2007

Determination.

Omwojo. It is an African word that means team. A great African tribe, of whose name I can't remember how to spell, or say for that matter, used to say this word to each other as they prepared for battle. It reminded them that alone they were weak, but as a team they were one of the greatest tribes in all of Africa.
That is what I must remember. Omwojo. Omwojo. It is a bittersweet feeling to feel like you have been a part of something; and yet at the same time feel like you have not been a part of something. That is how I feel. I feel like I have helped the team get this far, and yet I am seventh man and so I do not feel like I have helped any scoreing. I must remember that it isn't all about me anymore. I am a member of a team now. I have others who depend on me, and I depend on them. Why then am I upset today after coach told me that Trevor is going to take my place on the varsity team for the state meet? It is the best thing for the team. He ran faster than I did at semi-state, so he should take my place.
I say that there is no hard feelings. I say that I understand. The fact of the matter though, is that I feel that I am a better runner than Trevor. The fact of the matter is that on Saturday, I want to make coach wish that she had run me in the race. I want to run a time trial, and prove to myself that I am the kind of runner that I know that I am. And yet Trevor earned it. I feel like I have been a lot of talk. I have told myself that I am some good runner and yet I never perform like my mouth does. Trevor performed where I didn't. He earned my spot fair and square.
A man that I greatly respect once said that there is no use saying something that you don't intend on trying to fulfill. This is what I seem to do in both my spiritual life and my physical life. I pray and ask God to help me do something, but then I don't try to put forth the effort to do my part to try and live the right way. The same is true of my physical life. Especially running. I have always said that I would like to be a great runner someday, but I never seem to give it everything that I have to get better to try and fulfill my dreams. When someone told me recently that this was my last chance to go to state, I answered that I was going to return next year. They just laughed. I am so much more determined to prove them wrong.
As with the Trevor thing. God please help my selfish attitude. Help my pride. Help me to be determined, but also give you the glory in all that I do. I am, in a way, thankful that Trev beat my time because maybe that is what it takes for me to finally break through. I am going to go to state and be there to support my team. Support Trevor. Omwojo!

3 comments:

Rants Roo said...

hey dude, you've proved time and time again that you have been a better runner, the fact that he had a better time may be from a variety of reasons. Maybe it was the pace of the race or the adrenaline. Maybe he had that extra bit of ecstasy from hearing the results. Whatever it was, I think you still deserve to run because you did the work to get here, and you need to finish the job, even if he ran better than you in this one race.

NotSuchACityGirl said...

Hi, you are having a great attitude. I know you wanted this very much.

Running Doctor said...

It looks like you have thought this through. Never forget that you are part of a team, and never forget that you are your main competitor in running. You strive to better what you have done previously, not someone else. Bravo, son. You truly are running to God's glory.