Monday, October 19, 2009

College Life..

Wow, so I have been planning for over 2 months now to sit down and try to write something on here about starting college, but now it's half way through my first semester and I'm finally doing it!

Where to begin... I don't really know. As far as the classes go, everything is going great. I have an A- in my spanish class and also in my freshman tutorial class (basically an english class), I have a B in my calc class (I know Dad, I need to work on that one haha) , and I have an A in my Chemistry class. All in all, I'm very please with how the semester is going. Now what about the rest of college... Haha it stinks!

I told mom, "I hate being an adult." College has made me grow up way faster than I really wanted to. I know that it is what its best for me, but that doesn't mean that it is always fun. A lot of times, I look around me and I really feel like a man among boys... everyone seems to just be here to have fun. Yes, I know that it is important to have fun sometimes, but that's not why I'm really here. People keep telling me that I need to relax and just have fun because that's what college is all about. What!?! Is that really why I am here!?! Is that really why I'm paying thousands of dollars to go to school?! To have a good time. Not at all. These past few months, have completely changed my thoughts about how I live my life. Every choice that I make can effect my future in ways that I might not even realize. Do I really have the time to play video games till all hours of the night, or go get smashed on the weekends? I don't think so! And yet it is very hard to keep that mindset. It is hard to be in a place where you truly are on your own. No one has the same morals... no one has the same beliefs. You realize that you really are on your own, and that stinks. I know that my family is still there for me, but it is not the same. I am my own man now... and sometimes it gets very lonely. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy college. It's just not always easy... but I know it's good for me..

And now an update on something that has been one of the biggest aspects of my life for many years. Running. I'm not really sure what has changed as far as running is concerned. Something has most definitely changed, but I'm just not sure what it is. I think the only way to describe it is that my priorities have changed. For years I chased a dream of running professionally, but now I reached the college running level and I don't like it at all. I am ready for the season to be done. It's not that I have lost my competitive edge and it's not that I hate running... I know that I will be running for the rest of my life, there is no doubt in my mind about that, but i think that i need to take some time and take a break from running in college. I just am not there mentally. This season has worn me out mentally and emotionally and I'm just not there right now. I am not planning on running track in the spring. As of right now, I am planning on taking that season and just trying to figure some stuff out, I just need some time to think about running. I am going to keep running, and am planning on training to run a marathon in early summer.

These are just a few of my thoughts right now about the beginning of my college year. So much has happened in these last few months, and God has been actively working in my life and helping me grow. It has been hard, but it has been good! I'm not sure who will read this, but I miss you all and I hope to see you soon. God bless.

No comments: